Saturday, September 7, 2013

Brady Rodgers: Interview With Future Astros Hurler

By Zachary Morgan | astrosbias.com

Follow us at @HoustonBias and @AstrosBias

     The perfect hybrid of Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers, Brady Rodgers, was kind enough to hold an interview with us recently. The Houston native was selected in the third round of the 2012 draft by the good guys. The Sun Devil alum had a very successful rookie campaign, and has had essentially the same success this year according to his advanced metrics. The righty has posted a marvelous SO/BB of 4.96 and a *FIP of 3.59 during his 2013 campaign. The Astros have shown faith in Brady, giving him spot starts in AA Corpus and AAA OKC this year. He should continue to advance through the system quickly, and be in an Astros uniform in no time. Below is our correspondence...

HoustonBias: What does your arsenal consist of, and have you been experimenting with anything recently?
Brady Rodgers: My pitches are pretty simple, I have a 2 and 4 seam fastball, a curveball, slider and change up. I haven't been experimenting with anything lately just trying to refine those pitches to help myself become a better pitcher but I do mess around with a knuckle ball from time to time just in case those pitches start to suck but i have to admit its pretty filthy.

HB: One of your fortes over the last two years has been keeping the walks at a minimum, and inducing ground balls at a high rate. How important is that to your success?
BR:Its very important to me because I hate giving up free passes. If the hitter is going to get on then its gonna be because he beat me that at bat not because i beat myself. Ground balls are really important to me also because they can't leave the yard for a home run.

HB: Growing up an Astros fan, what's it been like having Morgan Ensberg as a coach this year in Lancaster?
BR: Its been awesome! Crazy that i grew up watching him play for the Astros so we talk about old games that i remember him playing in and having him as a coach has been great! He really knows the game from all aspects and i learn a lot from him.

HB: What are your passions outside of baseball?
BR: I love hunting and fishing. Every off season I go out to a piece of land that my dad owns and fish and hunt all the time. Its very relaxing to me and calms me down. 

HB: First ML at-bat...Swinging out of your shoes to prove to the world that pitchers are indeed athletes? Or just looking to poke something?
BR: Its gonna be a great one that's for sure. I wouldn't say i'd be swinging out of my shoes or looking to poke something. I would have a normal at bat and try to get a pitch that i can do something with and drive it in the gap.

HB: If you weren't making hitters look silly for a living, what would you be doing?
BR: I would either try to become a better golfer or have my own TV show such as man vs wild. I think i can definitely survive in the woods by myself.

HB: Is there anything in particular you've been working on with the coaches in Lancaster? Mechanics, approach, refining a pitch, etc..
BR: Not really, our pitching coach just tells me to do what i do and be myself. I'm a guy who throws strikes and lets my defense work. I just need to keep learning how to play this game because once you think you know it all, the game will prove you wrong.

HB: If you could take a pitch from anyone in pro-ball, what pitch would it be and from whom?
BR: That's a tough one because there are so many great pitchers out there with disgusting pitches but if i had to choose one i'd say Aroldis Chapman's fastball because 100+mph fastball would be real nice to see on the radar gun.

HB: What do your superstitions consist of? 
BR: I really don't have many superstitions as crazy as that sounds because pitchers are supposed to be the most superstitious of all baseball players. I think my family is more superstitious than i am so that would be a great question for them!

HB: What pitcher would you rather model your game after, Roger Clemens or Greg Maddux?
BR: Both pitchers are phenomenal but i'd have to say Greg Maddux because he didn't have that 95+mph fastball but he knew what to do with it and his off speed stuff was unreal. To watch him make that baseball do whatever he wanted was ridiculous, almost like magic.

HB: Who has the strangest pre-game rituals on the squad?
BR: I think the entire team would agree with me when i say Tommy Shirley. He does a lot of stuff and it seems to work. He needs to keep doing them so that he pitches great and we get a championship here in Lancaster.

HB: What was it like getting drafted by your hometown team? I can only imagine how stoked you must have been.
BR: It was seriously the greatest moment of my life so far. I mean its an honor to just get drafted but to get drafted by the team you grew up watching and loving, it was unreal. I would be lying if i said i didn't shed a tear because I did. It was a dream come true!

HB: If you could play catch with literally any historical figure, who would it be and why?
BR: Being the baseball fan i am I'd have to stick with a baseball player. Nolan Ryan would be ideal just because he's the greatest pitcher of all time and to play catch with him would be insane! 

HB: What has it been like getting a taste at higher levels this year? It must be encouraging to know the Astros front office has that kind of faith in you.
BR: That was a great experience and what made it even better was that I had some success while doing it. It's very encouraging that I was the one that got to do it and it only has be striving for more to get into the big leagues!

HB: Who's the funniest guy on the staff?
BR: That's a tough one because everyone has their own personality and when you put us all together its a constant laugh so i can't single out one person so i'd say the entire Jethawks team!

Once Again, I'd like to thank Brady for taking the time out of his day to talk to us. No offense to the rest of the guys on the farm, but considering Brady is a Houston kid, doesn't give free passes, and is an avid outdoorsman, he probably instantly became my favorite arm in the system. Best of luck the remainder of the year, go get a ring! See you in Astro orange and navy blue in no time!

*FIP(Fielder Independent Pitching, a much more accurate portrayal of performance than ERA)

1 comments: