Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Predicting The Astros 2015 Opening Day Line-up



     
By Zac Morgan | astrosbias.com

     This post was one that literally took me five days to finalize. I created, saved, and later trashed six lineups before finalizing the line-up card you see above and i'm still a bit unsure. The fate of LJ and Grossman regarding the starting nine, as well as determining what level DDJ would start at in 2015 had me gawking at the computer screen, absolutely dumbfounded. I think it's generally a no-brainer that GSP and Santana will command center and right by the time the 2015 campaign kicks off, and that Singleton will be firmly entrenched at first base. Jason Castro and Matt Dominguez at this point are clear cornerstones of the future in my eyes, and they'll be plugged into the 2015 opening day line-up as they will many more times for the Good Guys in the near future. I think a starting shortstop battle will take place in spring and will be an interesting one at that. Depending on how Villar develops, I think his explosive skill-set gives him the edge for the nod, but it will be a close one. If DDJ makes the squad, I imagine he does so at DH as the Astros try to configure the future of Altuve and Delino within the organization. One anomaly among most would likely be Tucker starting in left. I'm incredibly high on Preston Tucker and I think that stick will continue to develop as he taps into more pop, and that he'll be given a shake at a starting spot in left barring a DDJ move to the outfield. With Santana, Springer, and Tucker occupying the outfield, I was pressed to Move LJ and Robbie to the bench, but considering those two fit the outfielder prototype that Luhnow targets, that may be subject to change. After Folty in the three spot of the staff, I really think it will be up for grabs. Naturally, Lyles at the ripe age of 22 will have plenty of leash up until near that point, but God-forbid, a rocky 2014 could spell trouble for his 2015 starting 5 campaign. I included Rolly, Obey, Woj, and Peacock in the extra slots because I believe those four will be the front-runners for the 4 and 5 nod in the rotation. I gave Cosart the ball on opening day because he will have the most experience among the young, fire-balling rotation, and he also happens to be a stud. Appel will certainly be given a fair shake at it out of spring if he spends significant time in the show in 2014 I believe. I considered leaving the bullpen slots blank due to the massive turnover and volatility of major league relievers, but decided to plug in a few names. I believe Chapman, Stoffel, White, and Tropeano will be shoe-ins considering their age and current stock within the organization. I left Japhet Amador and Leo Heras out of the equation entirely simply because there's nothing substantial to go by as of yet. Barring free Agent acquisitions and future trades, here is the 2015 Astros opening day roster filled entirely in house via the system and current major league pieces. What changes would you make? No matter how you spin it, it looks pretty sexy. 

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful. I'm not the only one doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I expect Carlos Rodon to be the #1 pick for the 2014 Draft, and I also expect him to be in the rotation come 2015.

    Appel
    Rodon
    Folty
    Cosart McCullers

    That is just plain scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol no you certainly aren't alone.

      As do I at this point, but we're quite a ways away. That certainly is as promising as they come. I feel like Velasquez will work his way in there as well. There's a depth of elite young pitching talent this organization hasn't seen in several years. .

      Delete
  3. i think they should trade some of the young players with some good mlb players

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only problem I see with your line up is the fact that you have a MIAMI MARLIN pitching opening day for the HOUSTON ASTROS!!!

    ReplyDelete