Sunday, August 18, 2013

Houston Bias Fantasy Football Mock Draft



     Three members of Houston Bias took part in a mock draft this Friday that would make Matthew Berry weep like a schoolboy. On the Yahoo mock draft Brett had the 2nd pick, Zac had the 6th, and Keaton had the 10th and final selection. Following are the results of the mock draft. Houston Bias analysis on sleepers, rankings, and everything fantasy football soon to come!


Zachary Morgan: Astros writer and superior fantasy footballer..

Overall, I was fairly pleased with my draft. I'd take back the Ryan Mathews pick, as well as my final 4 rounds. DeAndre would've fallen further, and Bey was a wasted pick. I'm in a peculiar situation this year considering I am without a 2nd round selection, and have extra picks in round 5. It will be tricky but I have a strategy I believe will work swimmingly; I will not divulge my strategy at this time considering I am in a league with the two buzzards below me. All in all, pretty safe squad, good enough to get a foot in the playoff door no doubt barring injury.

1. Marshawn Lynch | RB | SEA - Clear top 5 back guaranteed his touches. Redzone monster.
2nd. A.J. Green | WR | CIN - Top 3 reciever, a no brainer mid-2nd rounder. Expect 1500/12.
3rd. Frank Gore | RB | SF - Old faithful. YPC increased last year. Very content with him at RB2
4th. Vincent Jackson | WR | TB - Very serviceable WR2. Featured target in TB, good for 1100/8
5th. Matt Ryan | QB | ATL - Elite fantasy numbers, great value in a very deep QB draft class.
6th. Tony Gonzalez | TE | ATL - Old faithful 2.0. 3rd most targeted TE, can't pass regardless of wear
7th. Ryan Mathews | RB | SD - My flex. Very concerned regarding injury probability, upside remains.
8th. HOUSTON | D/ST - YEE YEE! My league overvalues defense so I took THE #1 D rather early.
9th. Stephen Gostkowski | K | NE - League high PATs. Elite kicker, solid 10 spot a week.
10th. Vincent Brown | WR | SD - My first sleeper pick. W/ injury in San Diego, he'll get his targets
11th. Andy Dalton | QB | CIN - Very solid backup QB, will rack up numbers alongside Green.
12th. DeAndre Hopkins | WR | HOU - Undervalued. We're run first, but he may catch 60+ this year.
13th. Martellus Bennett | TE | CHI - Serviceable back-up TE. Still think he has untapped upside.
14th. Darrius Heyward-Bey | WR | IND - Spur of the moment pick. Colts will run more this year.
15th. Matty Schaub | QB | HOU - MATTY! Another year W/ Graham and now Hopkins... has his weapons, I expect 4000/25. Naturally we're run first, but Schauby runs that play action like a mug, and with another weapon in his redzone arsenal, Kubiak may let him toss it more often in scoring situations.


Brett Baker: Rockets writer and superior-er fantasy footballer

I was happy with my draft. I started out strong and screwed up when drafting Lamar Miller in the 4th instead of a much needed WR. I implemented my strategy, which was to take away as many Running Backs as I could. RB is not very deep this year so get 'em while you can. Overall my team is decent. With Arian Foster and Aaron Rodgers on your team you can't be bad.

1. Arian Foster (Hou - RB) - Obvious top 2 pick. Houston will run, run and... run
2. Aaron Rodgers (GB - QB) - #1 QB, but I probably should've grabbed AJ Green
3. Stevan Ridley (NE - RB)- 12 TDs last year and NE has no reliable receivers
4. Lamar Miller (Mia - RB)- I took him too early. Who knows though, he has upside
5. Danny Amendola (NE - WR)- Has the potential to be the new Wes Welker IF healthy
6. Jordy Nelson (GB - WR)- Too many injury-prone WRs for me 
7. Cecil Shorts (Jac -WR) - "The producer". Blackmon suspended. Shorts is the man
8. Eddie Lacy (GB - RB)- Adding RB depth
9. Chris Ivory (NYJ - RB)- Starting RB in round 9? Don't mind if I do
10. Ronnie Hillman (Den - RB)- There's a chance he might be the starter. Who knows
11. Lance Moore (NO - WR)- Henderson is gone. More playing time for Moore
12. Michael Vick (Phi - QB)- He was Keaton's starting QB last year
13. Jordan Cameron (Cle - TE)- Weeden's main target. 2 TDs yesterday!!
14. Tampa Bay (TB - DEF)- Play the match ups. They play the Jets week 1...
15. David Akers (Det - K)- The Lions can't score in the redzone 

Check out my #1 draft pickhttp://goo.gl/8635ig


Keaton Bradshaw: Texans writer and superior-erest fantasy footballer...

I thought I had a solid draft considering I was somehow awarded with the last pick once again. With my options running thin, I made the safe pick taking Steven Jackson at #10. The benefit of the last pick is that you also get the pick immediately following it each time you make a selection so I had some nice back to back pickups throughout the draft. I was particularly pleased with nabbing Peyton Manning at the beginning of the fourth while drafting Andre Johnson the pick before that. Both are perennial top 5 players at their position and would give me solid fantasy numbers.

1. Steven Jackson (Atl - RB) - Not the pick I wanted to make in the 1st but it's a safe one nonetheless. He will be the featured back on an Atlanta team that desperately needs his red zone presence.
2. Trent Richardson (Cle - RB) - My frown soon turned upside down as I realized how nicely my RB positions were filled with these back to back picks. Richardson must remain healthy but could be a monster if he does.
3. Andre Johnson (Hou - WR) - AJ has the potential to be one of the top 3 receivers each season that he plays and this one is no different than any other. Last season made me feel great about his health and I believe he will have another great year. Was a steal to me with the 30th pick.
4. Peyton Manning (Den - QB) - As reliable as it gets when it comes to QBs. He had no problems last year coming off of neck surgery and its reported that his arm strength has improved drastically. Look for him to air it out a lot more this year and rack up some long TDs.
5. Reggie Wayne (Ind - WR) - Another reliable player, Wayne will be the number one option for Andrew Luck once again and I'm expecting Luck to improve on a magnificent rookie season. I'm thinking at least 1200/12.
6. Mike Wallace (Mia - WR) - Mike Wallace has looked good this preseason and he's as fast as they come. He can seriously burn some guys out there, its incredible. If he keeps his mind in check and plays smart, he could have a huge year as the go-to guy for an improving Tannehill.
7. Andrew Luck (Ind - QB) - He had a truly great rookie season and I'm expecting him to improve upon it greatly considering how high his football IQ is. I'm looking for him to throw to the tune of 32+ TDs and 15 or less picks this year. He also has the potential to throw for over 4,500 yards easy.
8. Kyle Rudolph (Min - TE) - If I could take this pick back I probably would. The talent is certainly there with Rudolph, I just don't think he will get the same looks that he got last year. I totally forgot to factor in that Greg Jennings will be with the Vikings this year and will take away from those 9 TDs he had last year. Cordarrelle Patterson will take away from those looks as well.
9. Arizona (Ari - DEF) - I really like the look of this Arizona secondary that got a lot more dangerous with the addition of Tyrann Mathieu. Under the tutelage of Patrick Peterson I really look for him to excel. The team already finished second in the league last year with 22 picks and I'm expecting that number to improve. Speaking of Patrick Peterson... That guy can really return some punts, huh.
10. Stevie Johnson (Buf - WR) - EJ Manuel looked pretty nice in the preseason up until his injury and I'm expecting to see him slated in as the starter. That only spells good things for the Bills leading receiver.
11. Mark Ingram (NO - RB) - This was kind of a meh pick to me, I'm not too concerned with it but he has the potential to be a sleeper. He has shown tremendous flashes of talent and now with Chris Ivory in New York, the door is wide open.
12. Randy Bullock (Hou - K) - I loved this pick. Bullock has potential to be an NFL mainstay at the kicking position and I was so disappointed last year when he had to miss the entire year. He has looked real nice through this preseason and I believe he will be one of the top 5 kickers in fantasy this year.
13. Cordarrelle Patterson (Min - WR) - I would've rather taken Hopkins instead of Patterson, which was the plan until he got snagged just before this. Still can't complain about this pick though as Patterson has a great build and has shown flashes of brilliance so far. Christian Ponder may very well be his biggest downfall at the end of the day.
14. Andre Brown (NYG - RB) - If David Wilson doesn't take a massive step forward and become elite, Brown will return to the starting gig and get his touches like he did before his injury. I thought this was a solid sleeper pick and look for him to improve on his stats from last year. 8 touchdowns on 385 carries was nice and no fumbles to go along with that is an even better look.
15. Zach Miller (Sea - TE) - I literally based this pick off of his performance in Seattle's playoff loss against the Falcons last season. He had a stellar game and the best one I've ever personally witnessed from a tight end in a playoff game. The fact of the matter is that he is in reality a pedestrian TE at best and will have very average numbers this year. There is a lot of overturn in fantasy football so I don't value the last couple of picks very highly. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment