Thursday, August 1, 2013

Exclusive Interview with Quad Cities Hurler Jordan Jankowski


     A few days ago, Jordan Jankowski, a member of the absolutely stacked Quad Cities pitching staff, was nice enough to hold an email interview with Houston Bias. The Midwest League All-star is having a fantastic season, posting a 2.67 ERA in 87.2 innings of work. Jordan's low BB/9 of 1.7 paired with his SO/9 of 8.2 are two of the main contributing factors to his fine campaign. He doesn't get the credit he deserves when it comes to notable prospects within the system, but if Jordan continues his success, which his SO/BB rate says there's a good chance he will if that rate stays even somewhat close to where it is, he'll have to get consideration for upper echelon top 20 or so prospects in the farm. Here's the interview...

HB: What does your arsenal consist of, and have you added anything recently?

JJ: I throw a 4 seam, 2 seam, curveball, slider, and I just added a change-up this year. My pitching coach has really helped me gain confidence in that pitch.

HB: 
What area of your game are you actively looking to improve?
JJ: I am just trying to all around get better. You can never stop improving! I want to work on devolving a more consistent delivery and a more consistent approach.

HB: If you could steal any one pitch from anyone, what would it be?
JJ: I'd love to have Lance McCullers fastball. It would be nice to be able to rear back and throw in the upper 90's.

HB:
 What do your superstitions consist of?
JJ: Funny. I have a lot. I always wear a lucky wristband and put it in my back pocket. Also after every out that I'm waiting to go back out and pitch, I drink a cup of water. I also re-tuck my shirt with two outs before I go back out.

HB:
 Are you on any form of innings limit this year?
JJ: I have no clue. When I am called upon to pitch I just go out there.  You can't worry about that stuff.

HB:
 Who is the funniest guy on the pitching staff?
JJ: I'd have to say Colton Cain. He's my roommate and we always joke around with each other.

HB:
 If you could play catch with absolutely anyone, who would it be, and why?
JJ: I'd have to say my dad. He's the reason why I started playing baseball, and has helped me get where I am. It's always nice to have a father son game of catch.

HB: First Major League at bat...Swinging out of your shoes, or just looking to poke something.
JJ: Swinging for the fence. Many people don't know this but I was drafted as a catcher by the Astros in '08 out of high school. So yeah, I'm trying to go yard.

HB: How was it participating in the Midwest All-star game?
JJ: The all-star game was fun. It was an honor to be there with such great talent. I enjoyed my time with Carlos, and Lance, and the Dayton dragons really did everything first class. It was just a nice experience.

HB: What are your hobbies outside of baseball?
JJ: I am working on my degree. I told my parents I would graduate and I am dedicated to do so. I am in my last semester in the fall.

HB: How have you liked the tandem system? Advantages? Disadvantages?
JJ: It was great. It gave the guys an opportunity to be a starter as well as throw in relief. I feel that it only helps you become a more complete pitcher.

HB: If you weren't on the bump, what would you be doing for a living?
JJ: I would be working in medical sales. I like the medical setting and feel like it would be an interesting career. I would love to be a coach some day too.

HB: What do y'all do for food on the road? Just a steady diet of McDonald's, or how does that work?
JJ: I actually stay away from that stuff. I try to eat as healthy as I can. Normally it consists of breakfast at a restaurant, with some Chipotle in there during the day. We can't be real picky though because our games get over late, and most places aren't open! 

Once again we would like to thank Jordan Jankowski for taking time out of his day to grant us the interview. Best of luck this season and moving forward Jordan, looking forward to seeing you in a big league uniform soon!

0 comments:

Post a Comment