Sunday, August 4, 2013

Exclusive Interview With Newly Acquired Hurler Kyle Smith

Follow @HoustonBias and @AstrosBias for live updates!
Let The Big Dog Eat!
     Yesterday, the former #11 Royals prospect Kyle Smith, recent acquisition via the Justin Maxwell deal, was nice enough to take the time out of his day to grant us an interview. Smith is in the midst of a very successful full season campaign, carrying a 2.85 ERA in 104.1 innings of work, surrendering only 29 walks while striking out 96, and brandishing a low HR/9 of .78. He has slid into the extremely talent-rich Astros Top 20 prospect list at #15, especially impressive considering how stacked the Houston farm system is.

HoustonBias: First off, a BIG HoustonBias welcome to Kyle Smith, current Lancaster hurler and future Astros stud, just acquired for Justin Maxwell from the Royals. Thanks for taking the time to grant us this interview, Kyle, we really appreciate it.
Kyle Smith: Thanks for having me on here, it's an honor.

HB: Houston was thrilled when we heard you were joining the organization, what was your reaction upon finding out you were traded to the Astros?
KS: I was extremely honored to join such a great and well respected organization, but it was also sad to leave my teammates with the Royals after building some great relationships with guys. Now I have the opportunity to build new relationships and so far everyone including players, coaches, and fans have made me feel right at home and has made this transition a lot easier and i'd like to thank them for that.

HB: What excites you most about your opportunity with the Astros, entering on the ground floor of this rebuild?
KS: I am excited to be part of the rebuilding process and to have a hand in it. It's a true honor.

HB: How does it feel knowing that the Astros valued you highly enough to target you and were willing to give up a starting major league outfielder to acquire you?
KS: It makes me feel really good and gives me a lot of confidence in myself. It's a true honor to be traded for a major league player and that still hasn't set in yet, it's such an honor and I'm so blessed for it. 

HB: What does your arsenal consist of and have you added anything recently?
KS: It consists of a fastball, curveball and change up. The change up is the most resent addition, I've been working on it for awhile and it's finally coming along and it feels good. 

HB: If you could steal any one pitch from anyone, what pitch would it be, and from whom?
KS: It would have to be Greg Maddux's two seam. He was able to throw it where ever he wanted when ever, and I feel like that would be a great pitch to generate ground balls on and that helps you get out of some tough situations that may occur throughout the game.

HB: What do your superstitions consist of?
KS: I have to clean my shoes before each start, I have to listen to 4 certain songs before I leave the clubhouse, and I can't touch the dirt on my way out to the mound and I have to do a certain hop over the line on the way back into the dugout.

HB: What music do you listen to, pre-game?
KS: I listen to a mix of everything, but recently it has been Fall Out Boy, FUN, and Jay Z.

HB: What would you be doing if you weren't throwing a baseball for a living?
KS: If it wasn't for baseball I'd probably try to become an engineer of some sort, I was always good with math and always wanted to be an engineer. 

HB: What are your passions outside of baseball?
KS: I love to hunt, go four wheeling, and scuba diving. All 3 of those I am very passionate about. 

HB: If you could play catch with anyone from any era, who would it be, and why?
KS: It would be Greg Maddux because he is my all time favorite pitcher and if I could pick his brain for one day I would be extremely happy.

HB: Who has been the biggest influence in your baseball career, and why?
KS: My brother and my dad, they have supported me through thick and thin and have always been there to push me to that extra mile.

HB: What is your best baseball memory, and why?
KS: Besides being drafted it has to be playing with my brother in high school, just to get to play on the same team as my brother and have him catch me was by far the best baseball memory I have had so far.

HB: Is there anything else you would like to say to Astros fans?
KS: I would like to thank them for the warm welcomes they have given me so far, and I appreciate them dearly and I am thankful for the support even though I have just joined the team. And I look forward to contributing to the big league club one day in future.

     Once again, we would like to thank Kyle for taking the time out of his busy schedule to connect with Houston baseball fans, especially after such a whirlwind couple of days. We wish you nothing but the best, and hope to see you in Astros Orange and Blue as soon as possible!

0 comments:

Post a Comment